About the Role
The successful applicant will be responsible for developing the RSE theme in concert with other theme leaders; managing and coordinating RSEs working on cross-institutional projects; engaging nationally and internationally as appropriate and leading the user group for the EPSRC National Tier-2 HPC Service, Bede, and future Supercomputers.
The N8 partners (along with the research councils) have each individually recognised the key role that can be played by research software engineers (RSEs) in realising benefit from, and democratising access to computational facilities.
The N8 CIR was set up to build on these existing initiatives by developing an active community of RSEs (and other Research IT staff) across N8, sharing reusable software, expertise and good practice, and collaborating to provide training to enhance the digital skills of researchers. We recognize that RSEs are key to delivering this vision, and so this role of RSE Theme Lead was created to act as the focal point for all the RSE-focused activities of N8 CIR.
- Experience of Research Software Engineering at a research intensive university
- Be able to demonstrate strategic thinking and vision
- Potential and motivation to be a leader
- Be able to build and maintain good relations and networks with diverse research communities
- Ability to manage / coordinate several projects simultaneously
- Ability to organise events and chair meetings
- Experience of Computationally Intensive Research
- Experience of high-performance computing
How to Apply
The successful applicant must be based at one of the N8 institutions – Durham, Lancaster, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Sheffield or York. This 0.2 FTE role will suit someone who is not already at 1.0 FTE or for whom the time can be ‘bought out’ from their existing role.
Applicants should send a covering letter and a 2 page CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on Monday 19th June 2023. Interviews are expected to take place online on the week commencing 3rd July 2023
You can read further details about the N8 Research Partnership, the role and its responsibilities by downloading the document below.N8 CIR RSE Theme Lead 2023