The strategy of the N8 Centre of Excellence in Computationally Intensive Research (N8 CIR) will focus on the creation of a Centre of Excellence (CoE) in CIR methods, skills and facilities to underpin the strategic research objectives of the N8 universities. The strategy aims to provide a competitive edge, extending the boundaries of the possible by:
- building communities of practice focused on selected N8 strategic research priorities;
- developing skills, including building a community of research software engineers; developing shared software infrastructure to support research priorities and cross-cutting capabilities;
- facilitating the provision of shared high-performance computing resources involving N8 partners;
- facilitating access to the national e-Infrastructure ecosystem;
- positioning N8 to leverage future funding for CIR.
The CoE will accelerate progress in areas of research that are of strategic importance to the N8 partners, including some that have not made heavy use of technology in the past.